Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Goals for 2010

Except taken from email



1) Read more.  I've always grown up in the library's book club that my mom made me attend.  Each summer there was a book list and I think the more books we read, the more stickers (or something of that nature) we received.  Reading was enjoyable.  For the most part.  And then high school hit and we had to write book reports.  Lame.  Reading changed from a source of entertainment to an assignment and it just never was the same.  I hope to pick up reading again for the enjoyment of reading.  There are a lot of talented authors out there with stories to tell and I hope that I'll be able to read some of their works.  There are a lot of Christian books that are filled with lots of wisdom and knowledge that can draw me closer to God so I hope to read those as well.  I'm open to suggestions of any kind.


2) Play piano more.  Again, I grew up playing the piano.  I never learned the theory behind the music, I just played.  My piano teacher just gave me sheets of music to play... and that's what I did.  The more I listen to random songs on YouTube these days, the more I want to be able to play them.  I'm hoping that sometime this year I get my hands on a keyboard (piano too big to be moving around) and I start to play for the enjoyment of playing.  Like the reading, piano got to be an assignment as I'd come back from lessons every week and I needed to practice every night for a certain amount of time.  It got to be a chore and I started to dread playing.  Perhaps this year will be different.


3) Play guitar more. I've never been all that great at guitar.  I know most chords and can strum decently well, but like piano, I don't understand the theory behind it.  I'm hoping to steal my roommates (yes, Alfred, you) talent so I can play better.  I never took lessons in this, so I can't say that I dreaded playing this instrument growing up.  I wish to continue learning and improving and that can only be done through practice!


4) Finish writing script for something. I've liked creative writing for as long as I can remember.  I don't think I'm good enough at it for it to amount to anything, so now I'm an engineer.  But I still like writing.  I still like telling stories.  I'm hoping to finish a script (don't know how long or how short) by the end of the year.  I like the idea of creating a story and having that story tell a message.  I don't exactly know what story or what message I'll end up telling, but hopefully it's a pretty good one.  For those of you that don't know, I will openly admit that I like romantic comedies (I know some of you may think this is the same as a chick flick - we can debate that some other time).  It's looking like I'll be going down that route.


5) Start filming for above script.  Not only do I want to write something, but I want to be able to capture it both with audio and video.  This will take a tremendous amount of time, but I think I will enjoy it very much. I will need to obtain a hefty amount of equipment before all of this happens... so it's good that the year just started!


6) Take pictures more.  I've obtained a DSLR in recent months and I'm slowly learning how to take pictures.  Most of them suck still, but with some practice, I think I can get better... It's all about lighting! (This will ideally help me with #5).  I'm trying to carry with me my point and shoot when I can so I can start better documenting my life.  It will be cool to look back years later and see all the crappy pictures I've taken and how I've (ideally...) improved.


7) Write in blog more. I dropped Xanga because I don't like the ads in it and have started a blog somewhere.  I want to make sure I like the layout of it (template-wise) before I start using it more frequently, so that may pose a challenge.  But given what I said in #4 about liking writing, I figure this would be pretty cool to do.


8) Finish school. 4 semesters down.  1 more to go and then I will be done with my Master's in Electrical Engineering.  I remember thinking to myself that it would take forever to get. Now I'm 1 semester away and it's so close. I want to finish strong.


9) Pray more.  I've seen in the past year how prayer is huge and how God answers so faithfully. I want to continue to seek out God's will in my life and I know that can only be done through trusting in Him.


10) Share life with others more. I think I've been the type of person to be friends with almost anyone.  I can fairly easily have a conversation with people just about simple stuff. I've never really opened up to people or shared more of my life with them so I'm making that one of my goals too.  When I have been able to do this, it's really cool.  Words can't really describe it, so I won't try. But I recommend that all of you go and have deep conversations with other people! It'll be worth it.  If it's not, I'll buy you ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment