Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Costly Mistake...

Last Thursday or Friday... my TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) thing went off indicating that my tire pressure was low.  I ignored it because the last few times I've been to the mountains for snowboarding, the TPMS also went off.  I guess something about the cold or snow getting to the sensors triggers it and my car beeps at me.  I figured it was a similar situation this time, so I ignored.  It was raining a little bit so maybe the rain got to it?


This was not the case.  I drove on Friday and drove again on Saturday.  I spent most of the day in the library on Saturday and when I left, I noticed that my tire was a little flat (rear left).  I didn't really do much about it and filled it up later that evening, hoping it would be fine the next morning.  I drove to church on Sunday and didn't think much of it.  After church, I looked at the tire and it was completely flat and I was not a happy camper.  Kenny suggested that I put the spare on instead of driving on the flat tire.  I obliged.  I drove down to America's Tires on the spare only to find out that it was closed on Sunday's.  Boo.  It was too late at this point to go to Firestone so I ran some errands and went home.  I figured I'd come back to America's Tires on Monday.


I went into work for a little on Monday and then made my way to America's Tires.  Long story short, I should not have driven on the flat tire because that totally killed it.  Had I checked the tire when the TPMS light went on, I could've had America's Tires patch up the nail for free and everything would have been good.  But... because I waited a few days AND drove on the flat tire, the sidewalls of the tire were chewed through and completely demolished.  Thank God the rims weren't damaged.  These tires have only seen 11,000 miles and now I needed to replace two of them.  Yes, two of them.  They recommend that you replace right and left tire for even wear.  


300 + dollars later I have two new tires for my car.  Expensive lesson.  But lesson learned.


Spiritual lesson: When there is any sign of anything going wrong in your life (sins, temptations, etc), bring it up with God immediately. If you wait and wait and wait thinking that it will be ok to take care of later, you may be in for a surprise and find out that by waiting, you just made things worse.

1 comment: